In accordance to our vedas, it has been said that the end of the Dwapar Yuga marked the beginning of Kali Yuga, which is a non-spiritual age of selfishness, ignorance, cruelty and sin. It is also said that people in Kali Yuga will have shorter life span and will live a life of suffering due to their karma (deeds or actions). The vedas describe that after the creation of this universe, began an age of truth and wisdom known as Sat Yuga, which was followed by Treta Yuga and Dwapar Yuga.
Many ancient scriptures explain that as Kali Yuga will pass by, there will be constant deterioration of moral values, respect for elders, belief in God and people will only believe in maintaining good relations with people whose association will be beneficial for them. Lust, greed, selfishness, anger, cunningness, sinful approach, etc will rule the minds of people in the Kali Yuga. It is also speculated that since the earlier Yugas sought their climax with the incarnations of Lord Vishnu, even Kali Yuga will see the rebirth of Lord Vishnu in the form of Kalki, who will set everything right, bringing the world back to the golden age.
So amidst various beliefs mentioned in diverse scriptures, here are some prominent beliefs about Kali Yuga that has gained wide acceptance over the time:-
- One of the most popular theories abut Kali Yuga state that this dark age comprises of 4,32,000 human years and it has been around 5,000 years since the inception of Kali Yuga. This implies that the earth will witness more 4,27,000 years in Kali Yuga.
- As per a theory propagated by Aryabhatta, he calculated the starting date of Kali Yuga through Sanskrit astronomical treatise. As per this Surya Siddhanta, when the five planets – Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Mars and Saturn fell at 0º of Aries, the Kali Yuga started and the date he arrived was 17/18 February, 3102 BC. But there has been many other contradicting concepts, which state that the Aryabhatta’s prediction was not believable.
- Many scriptures also reveal that by the end phase of Kali Yuga, people will have an extremely short life span of just 12 years and the height of humans will be reduced to a maximum of 4 feet only.
- As per Brahma Purana, there will be a golden age in the Kali Yuga that will last for 10,000 years and after this, the spiritual deterioration of human race will speed up. The consciousness towards God and soul will be diminishing and people will become slave of money and materials. People will kill their families for the sake of inheriting their money. Hatred, jealousy and negativity will take control of people’s minds and elderly parents will not be taken care off by their children. Filling the stomach will become the only goal in life and everything else will be compromised for its sake.
- It is during this phase that Lord Vishnu will step on earth in his twenty secondth incarnation as Kalki to restore the devastated nature and to bring back humanity in humans. It is also believed that after the end of Kali Yuga, the earth will undergo a transition phase of around 300 years to re-appear in the golden age.
- There is a dialogue between Lord Krishna and Goddess Ganga mentioned in the Brahma-vaivarta Purana, where Lord Krishna states that after 5000 years of Kali Yuga, there will be a rise of the new golden age with a span of 10,000 years.
- There are some people who accept that the span of the Kali Yuga is 5000 years, which is almost similar to the predictions of the Mayan calendar. They believe that the dark age ended on 12th December, 2012 and from thereon, a new awakening age has already begun.
- The famous Yuga Cycle doctrine mention that the transitional periods between the ages is often followed by a doom or complete destruction of civilisations and environmental catastrophes, wiping out every thing. The new civilisation that steps in the new Yuga will be guided by the few chosen survivors who will inspire them to spread the spiritual and moral values taught by them.
- The recent earthquakes and various natural calamities that is causing humongous destruction is believed to be the beginning of the end of this dark era.
So are you ready to face the doom? Actually, it is not yet known when the Kali Yuga will actually end and when the doom will take place. But all you should know is that maintaining cleanliness of soul and indulging in acts that are in accordance with the moral and spiritual values will decide your fate. You need to believe in good karma, must perform good deeds and think positively, so that the law of attraction works for you, blessing you with your end goal – happiness.