Heart problems in older people are common. However, in the past few years the studies have indicated rapid rise in the number of younger adults suffering from heart problems. The figure is staggering as the major chunk of youngsters in thirties and forties in both the developed and the developing world are developing serious heart problems. This makes one wonder if there are any prevention measures that can bring down these figures and ensure better and healthier life for today’s younger generation.
Understanding the Contributory Factors
Before looking out for preventive measures, you need to be aware about the reasons that lead to heart diseases in youngsters. Some such contributory factors include hypertension, obesity, addiction to smoking and alcohol, sedentary life style, high blood level cholesterol and genetic predisposition. Among all the above factors, you cannot have any hold over the genetic predisposition however; with preventive measures, you can surely reduce the risk of heart disease. But the other contributory factors can be easily eliminated from life to prevent the onset of heart diseases in younger adults.
Here are some of the preventive measures that every youngster and teenager needs to follow to keep heart problems at bay.
- Wrong choice of food especially inclusion of fatty, processed and packaged food items that contain preservatives to increase the shelf life of the food are dangerous for health. These fatty substances and junk foods develop plaque in the arteries and cause blockages.
- Including unhealthy fats lead to increase in blood cholesterol level, which ultimately leads to heart problems. To avoid such problems, you must include fresh and green vegetables, fruits especially citrus fruits like orange, pineapple, grapefruit and lemon in your diet.
- You can also benefit by including nuts rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as walnuts that boost the health of the heart. Fish like salmon is also rich in such healthy fatty acids.
- Fiber is necessary to eliminate toxic waste from the body. Hence, you must include foods with high fiber content like carrot, radish, beetroot and eat them raw.
- Include low fat dairy products and Greek yoghurt so that you get the goodness of protein and healthy bacteria sans any addition of calories.
Track Down Your Family History
As you reach your twenties you must be aware about the medical history of your family. This is very much necessary to protect yourself and your family from the onset of any type of health problem. If one or few of your family members have succumbed to heart disease then you must take extra precaution for keeping this disease at bay by consulting the cardiologist.
Avoid Leading a Sedentary Life
You should be physically active. It is mandatory that every person from teenagers to youngsters and even older people need to exercise at least 30 to 45 minutes per day. You can choose your type of exercise such as jogging, brisk walking, aerobics and more depending upon your liking.
Smokings have been one of the leading causes behind lung damage and build up of plaque. Avoiding smoke will help you to reduce the risk of heart disease.
Obesity is the leading cause of heart problems. Losing weight will ensure better flexibility and lesser risk.
Young deaths due to heart diseases have increased considerably. Following the above preventive measures is the only way to keep the onset of heart diseases at bay.